Friday, June 3, 2011

Nolan Tyre "Ty" Akridge

We welcomed our second son, Ty, into the world June 2, 2011, which just happened to be my dad's birthday. I went in to the hospital the night before to prepare for my induction. We decided to go ahead and be induced on our due date since we are going out of town in 3 weeks. They started cervidil on Wednesday night around 7:30 pm and by 10:30 pm I was in active labor. And believe me, that didn't feel so good!! I got some good meds to hold me over until I got my epidural at 4:00 am and got a great night's sleep. Chris said I was even snoring...which I blame on the oxygen I was getting since I was so sedated from the meds they gave me. Did I mention the meds were good? They were! So much so that the room was spinning.

During my epidural, Chris got a little light-headed and almost passed out on me! He said he wasn't even watching. I think it had more to do with the fact that it was 4 am and he was hlaf asleep. Once I got the epidural, I slept until my doctor came in to check me around 7am. Things progressed a lot faster this time around and by 1pm I was ready to push. We got everything ready and Chris started his timer. He and my doctor, Dr. Harrison, had a bet going on how long I was going to need to push. Chris bet on 25 mins and Dr. H took the under. I pushed for a little over 13 mins so Dr. H won. However, Chris insists that Dr. H cheated because he performed an episiotomy to speed things up since Ty's heart rate kept going down during pushes.

The reason his heart rate kept going down was because his cord was wrapped loosely around his neck but the Lord took care of him and nothing seemed to hurt him. When he came out, Chris said, "It's another boy!" He also said he gave a fist pump when Ty came out and he realized he was a boy. I think it totally surprised my mom, who had been coaching me to "push! SHE's almost here" and "come on Lillie".

Again, we had a crowd of peeps in the waiting room. Chris told everyone it was a boy by giving Eli a little blue hat to carry out into the waiting room where everyone was waiting. I'm not sure Eli had any idea what was going on and why everyone was screaming and cheering at him.

Eli came back shortly after Ty was born to see his little brother. He looked at him, pointed and said "baby". He was quite a trooper though I'm still not sure he knows this baby is going to be with us from now on.

I will post pictures from the day once I get the time to download them to my computer. I still can't believe I have two little boys! Wow. This house is going to be crazy in a couple of years. Chris is super excited and is already planning out hunting and fishing trips, boxing rings, wiffle ball fields and tree houses. You guys can go ahead and start praying for me now! :)

6 comments:

Salena said...

I am so happy for you! Your delivery sounds a lot like mine (except I went into labor on my own). The meds made the room spin, I had to have an episiotomy because Chandler's heart rate was dropping, and he had his cord loosely around his neck.

Thank goodness you only had to push for a few minutes. I pushed 2.5 hours, but it was all worth it!

You are going to love being the queen among all those boys!

Kim Lockhart said...

Congrats April!

Shane, LaJuan, Jocelyn and Gabbie said...

Ty is precious! we can't wait to meet him in person! Love you guys and so happy for ya'll!

Garretts said...

jack delivered the same way (cord wrapping) plus the vacuum. so glad it all went well.

ty is beautiful, and i pray he continues to eat and sleep well. those second ones have a way of knowing they have to be more laid back!

i love the part about your mom saying "she's almost here..."

it's like everyone keeps telling me, "now you just have to have another to get your girl!" :)

danielle said...

Congratulations! And I will definitely start praying for you being the only female in the house.. with Chris being your husband AND their daddy! :)
I love you and I am so glad it went well!

MB Shaw said...

So, my daughter has never played with a baby doll in her life....that is until she met your Ty yesterday. After we got home, she went straight to her room and picked out the smallest baby doll she owns and put that baby on her shoulders and started bobbing up and down "shhh-shing" her baby. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen! Thanks for letting us take a peek at your newest addition and thanks once more for motivating my girl to play with her dolls!

Ty is a beautiful baby and so obviously surrounded by love. Congratulations to all of you and SLEEP WHEN THEY SLEEP!!