Thursday, September 30, 2010

i need motherly help!

i am trying to ween this little "ninny baby" as he has been called by his great-grandfather since he was born. i have tried formula, milk, and now chocolate milk--each cold or warmed up and in either a sippy cup or a bottle. nothing seems to work. he won't touch the formula and every time he puts the milk in his mouth, either regular or chocolate, he gets a sour look on his face and his whole body shakes.

any ideas out there mothers? i will try anything. this mother is ready to have her body back to herself.

4 comments:

Lindsey Brackett said...

Wish I could help, but my girls weaned themselves. Maybe just pump and give it to him in a cup until he realizes that's all he gets???

Garretts said...

that is a thought, lindsey. sorry the chocolate milk didn't work. maybe strawberry? :)

anyway, until we figured out that jack would drink chocolate milk he was missing out, b/c i refused to nurse him. he was getting nursed at breakfast and dinner only. I finally dropped dinner when I was able to get him to drink chocolate milk and then he eventually gave up interest in the morning feeding within a couple of weeks.

sorry he's having so much trouble. there's no replacement for milk, but there is calcium-fortified oj & apple juice in the interim.

Jason and Jessamie said...

i'm not breast feeding, but can you do half breast milk, half formula? or are you not supposed to mix the two?

The Moffitts said...

Arabelle wont drink milk....soy and almond milk she will tolearte but not nearly as much as mama milk. Our peditrician said not to worry about her not wanting cow's milk and since she's over a year she doesnt need formula anymore. When I dropped daytime feedings I was giving her formula but she never really liked it either. As long as he's eating a variety of foods and getting nutrients dont stress too much. It will take time. We are in the process of getting her to sleep without nursing...yeah...at 14 months! But I have been able to limit her nursing which feels like I am taking back some of the control...because Im ready to end nursing too....too bad we didnt teach her self soothing sooner...weaning would probably be easier. Make sure theres no other big changes/transitions going on right now...walking, learning words, etc.....12 months is big developmentally....the worst time to add extra stressful stuff...unlike us who moved before during and after this really stressful time for her. Hang in there....stick to your guns!