Thursday, July 31, 2008

Last week of summer...


Well, I guess summer is finally over. It has been quite eventful though with Chris finishing his masters degree through NGC&SU, visiting family in Mobile, and then touring NYC! I had been to NYC before but Chris had not. We went to two baseball games while in New York, one at Yankee Stadium and one at Shea Stadium. Both games were great games and I have to thank the row of Yankees fans that sat behind us in the bleachers in right field, they made the game exactly what Chris and I expected. We also toured the Staue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, China Town, Little Italy, Central Park, Harlem, and the Musuem Mile. We did all of this in 3 days! Needless to say we were extremely tired when we finally made it to the airport Wednesday night to catch our flight. Upon arrival to LaGuardia Airport we learned that our flight had been delayed from 8:46 pm until 11:12 pm. To make a long story short, after sitting in the airport for 4 hours and experiencing delays until 1:12 am our flight was finally cancelled until the next day at 4:20 pm. This gave us another night in NYC. This night was quite interesting to say the least. We started out looking for a hotel room...which was hard to find since 8 other flights had been cancelled also. We finally found a motel somewhere in Queens and took a taxi there. When we arrived there, we immedietly realized why there were still rooms! Chris thinks you could rent a room by the half hour (if you catch his drift). The lobby was protected by 2 inch thick glass. Chris told the guy behind the glass that we had asked for a room but changed our mind and wanted him to call a taxi for us. We got back to the airport, waited 2 hours for a blanket from airport officals, then ended up sleeping on the floor of the airport. I slept wonderfully and Chris slept horribly. There were hundreds of people sleeping on the floor when I fell asleep and none left when I woke up. Chris and I then ate 3 meals in the airport, bought books and magazines to occupy over time, talked to many people from all over, and then finally boarded our flight at 8:46 pm...24 hours after our first flight was to take off. We finally made it back to Atlanta, got in our car and headed back to God's Country. We only drove a 1/4 mile through the parking lot at the airport before Chris turned on the light and jumped out of the car with ants all over him and crawling all over the front of our car (they were even coming out of the parking brake)! I then jumped out, stripped down, and then started spraying Off and hand sanitizer on the ants. They did finally die, we laughed, and finally made it to Bateville and our own bed. The trip was awesome. We just learned two lessons...1. don't fly into LuGuardia 2. don't park at the airport unless you can park in the parking deck! I will put pictues up soon.

1 comment:

danielle said...

What an awesome and hilarious story! I wish I could have seen you 2 with the ants! I'm glad you had fun and am jealous about the 2 baseball games.